Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Buttermilk Biscuits



These are my absolute favorite comfort food. It took me until I was about 30 years old before I got it right. My mom still makes them better but I come a close 2nd. Long gone are the days of hard little biscuity bricks. These aren't light and flaky biscuits but they sure are satisfying.



Ingredients:
3 tablespoons shortening (plain or butter flavored)
2 cups flour sifted
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
Buttermilk

Step 1: Preheat oven to 450-500 degrees
Step 2: Add dry ingredients to the shortening and cut in with a fork.It should end up looking like course corn mealStep 3: Add enough butter milk to make everything wet. You don't want puddles- just enough to make everything stick together.
Work this as little as possible. The less you work it, the more tender the biscuits.
This is the part that always made me hate making biscuits. I wanted a measurement but it differs each time. I also wanted to work it like bread dough but that makes rock-like biscuits.

Step 4: Walk away. Give the flour enough time to absorb the buttermilk. Go cook something else but, whatever you do, don't touch this for 15-20 minutes.

Before:
After:
Step 5: Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. I generally just use a clean counter top. Add flour to the dough and pat it to about 3/4 to 1 in thickYou can use a rolling pin but its really not necessary. It takes longer to clean the rolling pin in my opinion and my hands work just as well.

Cut the biscuits out.
Place on a silpat or parchment paper
Place in the oven until brown. About 20 minutes or so.

Spread with butter or jam and enjoy. I especially like these re-heated in the oven the next morning for breakfast. Just spread with butter and toast in the oven until warm. So tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment